Brazil Law Office PLLC


CALL TODAY  701-297-2298


Guardianships can help you better care for your loved ones

No matter how willing and eager you are to help a loved one in need of care, being a guardian for someone can be challenging. This challenge goes beyond the time and energy you spend caring for a minor child or an incapacitated adult. If your rights as a guardian are not thoroughly established under the law, you may end up facing obstacles that prevent you from making important decisions.

At Brazil Law Office, PLLC, we handle a wide range of family law and estate planning issues that involve guardianships — both in urgent situations and in planning for the future. Our Fargo-based law firm offers experienced counsel for individuals who need to establish guardianships in Cass County, Clay County and surrounding areas of North Dakota and Minnesota.

Contact our team of experienced legal professionals via email or by telephone at 701-297-2298 to arrange an initial consultation to learn more about your options.

When is it appropriate to establish a guardianship?

A guardianship is useful for individuals who need to have the legal authority to make decisions for a minor child or incapacitated adult, also known was a ward. A full guardianship gives the guardian legal authority to make decisions for the ward, such as those related to:

  • Living arrangements
  • Medical treatments
  • Legal actions
  • Financial management
  • Education
  • Job and occupational needs

Emergency guardianships versus planning for the future

When you have time to plan ahead for your own care or the care of your loved ones, you may not need a guardianship at all. You may be better served by other estate planning tools like powers of attorney, health care directives, co-signers on various accounts or trusts and trustees.

Many guardianship issues arise because of an immediate or urgent need. If an individual has been incapacitated by an unexpected accident or illness and no estate planning tools are in place, his or her loved ones will need to step in quickly to provide support. If no one is available, the court will appoint a guardian ad litem who will act as a representative for the incapacitated individual or minor child.

An experienced lawyer can help

Attorney Tressie Brazil will take the time to walk you through your options, help you weigh the advantages and disadvantages of those options and represent you through the legal process toward a swift resolution. Get started today by contacting our office.